Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

WME v1.3-108 Release - Official Feedback Thread

Post by
Hey,

Along with the new website, we launch a new version of the editor. There are some behind-the-scenes changes which are hopefully transparent.

The main visible change is the ability to change the editing environment (World / US & Canada / Israel) using the drop-down menu in the top right corner.

This release paves the way for more important features which will soon be available - notably scheduled restrictions and the ability to message and be replied by people who have opened update requests.

Let us know if you see any issues or have any feedback. Thanks.

Happy Editing!

(Edit: updated the link with the public version of the post)

POSTER_ID:12957716

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
pikifoo wrote:I encounter a bug when creating the new road on the publisher. When I created a road with many bends and point geometry, doing double click "validate" the road, a large number of point geometry disappears ...
This is a "feature" of the new editor, and one which beta testers asked to not be released because exactly of this.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Superfraggle wrote:The map is flickering a lot, reloading tiles/sat imagery a lot whilst scrolling zooming, very annoying.
Also reported several times, with lots of debugging done, during the beta. I asked them to undo the changes they made to the imagery layer, but no love. This does only seem to happen in Chrome. It is related to the adding of the gray background as Chrome, for some reason, flicks between the natural white background and the new gray layer. Most of us dislike the gray layer. I'm not sure what purpose it serves.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jstrangfeld wrote:Not a big deal but since feedback was asked for. In the dashboard under the stats. It shows "house numbers". I know I've done numerous house number add/change/deletes, yet it shows 0. Not sure if its just me, or if its just not enabled yet.
Those are the old-style Cartouche House Numbers. HN "credit" in WME is just another edit count, so you'll always show 0 there.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Guidz wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Superfraggle wrote:The map is flickering a lot, reloading tiles/sat imagery a lot whilst scrolling zooming, very annoying.
Also reported several times, with lots of debugging done, during the beta. I asked them to undo the changes they made to the imagery layer, but no love. This does only seem to happen in Chrome. It is related to the adding of the gray background as Chrome, for some reason, flicks between the natural white background and the new gray layer. Most of us dislike the gray layer. I'm not sure what purpose it serves.
I'm having the same problem but attributed it to WME Tools...no? When I disable WME Tools, I don't have the problem. I also made a post in WME Toolbox.
Definitely not specific to toolbox. I've posted video before to the devs showing this happening with no extensions at all. It appears to be exacerbated by slower internet connections. The video below is real-time, not slowed down:

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Guidz wrote:I thought I remember reading something where we can contact the person submitting URs to get more information. Is there such a feature or maybe it's restricted to higher level editors? :?
The icons have changed in WME now, so that you can follow the requested etiquette and not close URs which have active conversations, but the full Conversations feature is not yet available. Still needs tweaking.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Superfraggle wrote:not to sure about the slow connection though, 70Mb here if thats not quick enough then guess we're all stuffed lol
Mine isn't slow, but it's often real busy. 100MB total (not Mb), but too many people constantly streaming music and video, etc., and that much bandwidth gets used up quick.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Guidz wrote:
bart99gt wrote:I am getting the same bug where edits are not showing up.
I'm having similar issues in addition to it taking 10-15 seconds to save a simple change.

Can anyone speak to what's going on? I've been keeping my eye :shock: on the status and forums but haven't seen anything.

Also, when changes/fixes are made, is a change log published anywhere? I'm still relatively new to editing and I'm trying understand what's the norm when new releases are deployed.
There does appear to be some level of inconsistency in the editor showing segments which were previously deleted/changed, etc. This happens from time-to-time and sometimes resolves itself with the next tile build. It hasn't been widespread enough to cause panic.

Changes are at the top of the release thread. Like this one. That's the norm.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Riamus wrote:I've also noticed that when you create a road from another road, it appears to create a junction node at that location, but it isn't really there. You have to move the road away and then back to actually create a junction node at that location. That's basically what was true before where it wouldn't create a node when starting a new road from another road. But now you actually see a node there when there isn't one. It just makes it more confusing.
Not true. It has always never created the first junction when you connect from one segment back to the same segment. Now, it is just a bit more confusing because it creates the junction at the beginning of the segment, but it still doesn't actually junction onto the road. If you create a normal segment which doesn't connect back to the same segment, it creates the junction just fine.
Riamus wrote:Oh, and I hate that it doesn't reload the editor where I last was. I used that all the time when I stopped working on an area and had to come back later. I'd be right where I left off. Now, I have to try and find where I was and depending on where I was, that can be a royal pain.
If the browser is closed with the URL ending in /editor then it definitely loads the last location visited. However, since a lot of people love to click on permalinks, and then move on to other locations but they never modify the URL, the browser automatically loads up the last URL. WME has no control over what the browser requests.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Riamus wrote:Also, I wasn't talking about just connecting back to the same segment. This is occurring when creating a dead end from a segment.
That is not true. The only time that will happen is if you do not have rights to modify the segment you are starting on. You're being very unclear in the exact situation in which something occurs and stating it as if it was a fact for all situations. Please don't.
Riamus wrote: if I use the only remaining link to the editor on the site (from the Live Map), it drops me in the ocean.
If i am looking at the livemap and click the "Edit the map" link, it takes me to the same location I was looking at on the livemap.

I do, and recommend to everyone, to use a bookmark to get to the editor. It's way faster and easier and should just point to /editor.

For those who have their browser set to Reload all tabs as they were, there will likely be a disconnect between what loads for WME vs. where the user was last editing. That's because the browser loads the last URL, and the location the user was last looking at could be vastly different because of the all the panning/zooming/searching which the user likely did since the last time they loaded WME from the URL.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
doomedtx wrote:Failed to load resource http://marx.waze.com/socket.io/1/?sessi ... 1469144973
This isn't related to the error. This is part of the future editor chat system. It was used in the past as shown here:
[youtube][/youtube]

Here's the URL because something is blocking the youtube tags on the updated website:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message