The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Landmark Database Size Reduction

Post by
In two other threads http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... rk#p422710 and http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... rk#p425980, skbun discusses the very large size of some of the major landmarks due to the very high number of nodes defining the landmark.

The recommendation is to consider reducing the number of nodes for some of these landmarks by either redrawing them and deleting the old one, or deleting some (or many) of the nodes to still give the landmark its basic outline, but not have it provide meter-by-meter granularity.

I wanted to start this thread focused on this topic since there are some huge water landmarks with a high degree of detail (too many nodes) around the country. One example is the San Francisco Bay and delta areas.

1. Do we know if each time an editor moves their screen view the browser has to reload all those datapoints?
2. Are all the datapoints for a landmark loaded at once even if they are off the screen?
3. Does it reload after every save even if the screen location does not move?

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
1. Depends on how far the screen is moved.
2. ?
3. It appears to, yes. It's part of the Features load

I have noted that the editor will start to crawl when landmarks layer is enabled, especially at low zoom levels (high altitude), presumably due to many landmarks being in view.

In the past, some landmarks with too many geometry nodes would fail to display at all. That may have been in Cartouche.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The hold 'd' while dragging (no mouse click) is way faster than double clicking.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
orbitc wrote:It works fine with Chrome fine (howering and clicking D), but it doesn't work well the same way as you are describing using firefox. That's from my experience.
It should be the same and I haven't heard other FF users complaining about this. Did you possibly change the shortcut letter? This is the same delete function as for removing geometry nodes on segments. Can you not delete those either?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I use a MBP and Chrome and Chrome both work fine with the builtin track pad. Can figure why ff would misbehave as such.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Seems that ff has a built-in shortcut for search and it's capturing the key press instead of WME. You could assign a different letter.... How have you been removing any geometry nodes ever?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
orbitc wrote:Needless to say.... It works. :)
Sweet.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
kentsmith9 wrote:
skbun wrote:(An afterthought...In theory, we're not supposed to be mapping water at all, correct? Last I heard, Waze is handing the water layer, and we're supposed to delete any body of water in the United States, with prejudice...right? viewtopic.php?f=129&t=38934 for reference.
I have not read through that link yet, but I would think it best to not delete water (like the SF Bay) until the water layer is operational. I thought there were issues with water not showing up where it was supposed to show. Unless someone has done a test on the bay to confirm you can still see water with those landmarks removed, I propose we hold on them until testing confirms it is OK to remove now.
Yes, what Kent said (Except SF Bay should be part of the water layer - has anyone tested it yet?).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by b-pilot
Can the editor be set up to - upon a double click of a Landmark Node - interpret that as a delete of that node, or bring up a dialog to have the user confirm the node deletion?

That would be an AWESOME (and painless) way to simplify Landmarks

- - - Jim
b-pilot
Send a message
AM: IA (Ft Madison-Maquoketa-Clinton) - QCA - IL (Peoria-Mt Pulaski-Ft Madison)
477K https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... M_only.png

Post by CBenson
Likely should be a separate topic. Don't really know, but I have had some luck in the past with water anomalies that the are actually in the landmark layer by drawing a railroad segment through the area to get all the tiles to regenerate.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Daknife
Late to this topic, good to know, I've attempted to clean-up/adjust the borders of the Grand Canyon a few times and quickly gave up each time. Now I know why it was such a pain.

Bravo Kentsmith9!!!!!!
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint