Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Automatic Night Mode... is it working in NZ

Post by gungsan0
Hi, I have been using Waze for almost a month now.
When I turn on the Automatic Night Mode, my map turns to night even during the day.
It doesn't seem to change automatically depending on the NZ time...

Is there any setting that I am missing or is it a bug?

Cheers.
gungsan0

POSTER_ID:10541848

Send a message
- CJ - (gungsan0)
AM - Auckland, NZ
iPhone 5s - iOS 7.0.4

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by amartinnz
I have the same problem, I have logged it as a bug with every version of the Waze beta and release version that comes out, but have never had a response so I have given up being a beta tester since they don't listen.
amartinnz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Location - Hamilton
Area Manager - New Zealand

Post by amartinnz
This still has not been fixed, over a year later...
amartinnz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Location - Hamilton

Post by amartinnz
I used to be a beta tester for Waze, but never once got any reaction or response to my reports on this issue and others, so I gave up. I think we here in NZ are not that important to them.
amartinnz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Location - Hamilton

Post by andypenz
nzhook wrote:I had a look the other day in the Beta portal and there is a 9 month old bug which is still open and marked as 'Future', every now and then I poke them (on other bugs and comments) but nothing seems to come of it.

For those who are Beta testers, it maybe worth putting a comment on BUG-0179 as it may make them realise its not just one or two people complaining. (same with the testers in Oz)
This has been driving me crazy for ages. I'm pretty sure it's linked to our timezone being so far ahead of the servers. I've just spent the last few weeks on a road-trip around the SI and for some of the time had my display set to auto. At 13:00 NZ (0:00 UTC) it always suddenly switched from night to day. I'm pretty sure it's a simple bug in the logic of their code, but how to get a dev to look at it!
andypenz
Send a message
Nexus 5 running Kitkat 4.4.2

Post by Antmannz
Same with htc.

I've submitted a support request as follows:
Ant wrote:Auto night mode doesn't seem to work correctly in NZ.

Night mode is active all morning, switching to day mode just after midday. Sunrise is NZ is usually between 6am and 8am.

Is this an unfixed bug with the app, or is it just related to us in NZ?

Forum ref: https://world.waze.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 22&t=29868

Thanks.
Antmannz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Antmannz
Yeah, I was requested to submit a log, which I did. Nothing came of it, however I don't think the relevant info is making it into the log.

It's a bit weird. After much use, this is what seems to happen:
  • The app switches from night -> day at midnight GMT (12 noon NZ standard time, or 1pm NZ daylight savings time).
  • The app switches from day -> night at the correct NZ sundown time.
  • If the app is open before NZ sunrise time, it changes from night -> day at the correct time (NZ sunrise). If you then close and re-open the app, it will start in day mode, then switch to night after about 30 seconds. However, if the app is run continuously after a successful correct night -> day switch at sunrise it will stay in daytime mode.
It takes a lot of searching to find the correct nanoRep phrase to get to the bug submission report (for the record it's "report a bug").

My guess is that the log file required probably needs to be one where the app has successfully shifted from night -> day at sunrise, with the logging taking place on the subsequent restart.

If anyone wants to do the logging and submit another bug report, please do as I feel it sucking my will to live already. :P
Antmannz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by gungsan0
I have asked the Waze support the same question and they replied as following
Waze Support inbox@my.nanorep.com
Oct 8
to me
Dear @@@@@@@,
In reply to your inquiry "Auto night mode":

The auto night mode uses an algorithm that takes into account the time of day, your location on the planet and the date.

Best regards,
In fact it does not... -.-;;;
gungsan0
Send a message
- CJ - (gungsan0)
AM - Auckland, NZ
iPhone 5s - iOS 7.0.4

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
amartinnz wrote:I used to be a beta tester for Waze, but never once got any reaction or response to my reports on this issue and others, so I gave up. I think we here in NZ are not that important to them.
From my understanding they have the same problem in Oz
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message