Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Towns and cities in Ireland

Post by davidg666
Hello fellow editors,

I've created an editable spreadsheet of all towns and cities (with a population over 1500) in Ireland, which might be useful for us all collectively to track progress on mapping them. It needs a lot of filling in (I've only put in permalinks for a few) but I hope we can all fill it in and use it to track how we're getting on.

I figured it would be most useful to concentrate on towns and cities first, because that would make Waze as useful to as many people as possible first.

Please add to it as much as you can and use it wisely. For the AMs and local editors I've just put in whatever names show up in the area managers view in the editor, which doesn't show very well when several people manage the same area. Even if you're not an AM of a town/city, but you edit there a lot, do add your username to the list.

The list is here. Let me know what you think!

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:5008722

Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by Agamicox
Hi,
Please add Ballymore to city list. I've been there driving from N81. Created (paved) the road too.
It's not R road, it's L road - L2025.

Thanks
Agamicox
Send a message
HTC One X

Post by arthurohara
This is a brilliant idea and an excellent logical online aid to completion/progress tracking of towns and cities in Ireland with a population of 1,500 plus.

Thanks David for exceptional initiative that helps to make Waze in Ireland even better.

All other countries should take note!

I've added details and will report there regularly.

I will be happy to add, in collaboration, to the wiki.

I've got the Tce bug too!!!

Hope all editors will embrace. Maybe someday we could consider holding a bit of a get-together, aside from the gathering!

The future suddenly looks much brighter from a Waze perspective in Ireland.

Sincerely,

Arthur.
arthurohara
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Arthur O Hara
Local Champ
Country Manager Ireland
https://eb1rhs
Waze Ireland Twitter @WazeIreland
[url]https:///cF4Rje[/url]

Friend Me Facebook http://goo.gl/o2fjOI
Google Earth Imagery Updates: [url]https:///CIYBsn[/url]

Post by bprob
davidg666 wrote:Hello fellow editors,

I've created an editable spreadsheet of all towns and cities (with a population over 1500) in Ireland, which might be useful for us all collectively to track progress on mapping them. It needs a lot of filling in (I've only put in permalinks for a few) but I hope we can all fill it in and use it to track how we're getting on.

I figured it would be most useful to concentrate on towns and cities first, because that would make Waze as useful to as many people as possible first.

Please add to it as much as you can and use it wisely. For the AMs and local editors I've just put in whatever names show up in the area managers view in the editor, which doesn't show very well when several people manage the same area. Even if you're not an AM of a town/city, but you edit there a lot, do add your username to the list.

The list is here. Let me know what you think!

++David \ davidg666
Interesting idea David, well done.
I think we really need to get some more co-operation going between editors here. We have all been ploughing our own furrows to a large extent, and this is probably an important first step in coordinating our actions.

it would certainly be good to see exactly where we need to concentrate attention.
Noting areas where the photo is off-set is paticularly important i think.
my only quibble would be with the "completeness" measure. It is a subjective measure: one person might rate a town as a 6, someone else would rate it an 8. Also, since the world is always changing, there is really no such thing as a 10 or perfect map. Would it be possible instead to have a column listing the major issues that require addressing for each town. I know in my own experience that Cork city is basically correct, but that the main issue outstanding is that not all placename abbreviations match the voice navigation abbreviations (terrace as ter is a bit of a bugbear of mine, but i need to overlook that and change tce to ter!).

since you've created this as collaboration, may I suggest we also need to update the ireland section of the wiki. Some inconsistencies exist across the country and the ireland wiki isn't half as detailed as the UK one. I brought this up previously on another thread but it died a death, and i didn't do much to sustain it myself either. (in reality, a lot of Ireland editing procedures could be done by mirroring UK practice)
bprob
Send a message
Area Manager, Cork City
Administering @WazeIreland twitter account
https://twitter.com/WazeIreland

Post by davidg666
'morning Rob,
bprob wrote:I think we really need to get some more co-operation going between editors here. We have all been ploughing our own furrows to a large extent, and this is probably an important first step in coordinating our actions.
Definitely. I'm not sure if all of the active editors are present on the forum, so I'm inclined to PM a few directly if we don't hear many responses here. In any case, some coordination is definitely in order. Naturally, the areas we all work in tend to overlap a bit, and there does seem to be some stylistic variation - there's no problem with that, but it would be good to maintain some consistency in some areas (see below).
bprob wrote:it would certainly be good to see exactly where we need to concentrate attention.
Noting areas where the photo is off-set is paticularly important i think.
The document is still largely incomplete - I've just filled in the details for the cities and a few of the towns I'm familiar with. Since it just includes towns with more than 1500 people living in them, there are plenty of slightly smaller towns that could be added. Because it's incomplete, I am hoping that we can collectively fill in the gaps - that way, it could become a useful starting point for somebody wondering where to start editing next (which I found I did after "finishing" Wexford and Enniscorthy (aside: I don't intend to claim exclusive credit for any city; both of those cities were at least partly mapped before I started work on them (and I notice that most of the roads in Wexford had already been placed there by you - I just named them and added whatever seemed to be missing)).
bprob wrote:my only quibble would be with the "completeness" measure. It is a subjective measure: one person might rate a town as a 6, someone else would rate it an 8. Also, since the world is always changing, there is really no such thing as a 10 or perfect map. Would it be possible instead to have a column listing the major issues that require addressing for each town.
I agree completely. I just used a number because that's compact and it's easy come up with a number, although, as you point out, different people will have different ideas.

I took '10' to mean that all the major work has been done (all roads are at least present on the map), but any city/town is going to need work on an ongoing basis as things change or problems are discovered. However the measure could be distilled into four levels: "mostly just needs ongoing maintenance", "partly done, much still to be done", "name exists on the map, otherwise almost nothing there" and "can't be found anywhere on the map".

In any case, an annotation column would be well worthwhile to point out to other editors listing the major work required; I'll add that.
bprob wrote:I know in my own experience that Cork city is basically correct, but that the main issue outstanding is that not all placename abbreviations match the voice navigation abbreviations (terrace as ter is a bit of a bugbear of mine, but i need to overlook that and change tce to ter!).
Interesting aside - I've been renaming "Terrace" to "Tce" wherever I see it (mistakenly, now that I see it at the wiki page for naming roads in Ireland. Oops :? I guess I've just never noticed the behaviour on TTS - I've been more more bothered by the pronunciation of 'N' as 'north' in our N roads!)
bprob wrote:since you've created this as collaboration, may I suggest we also need to update the ireland section of the wiki. Some inconsistencies exist across the country and the ireland wiki isn't half as detailed as the UK one. I brought this up previously on another thread but it died a death, and i didn't do much to sustain it myself either. (in reality, a lot of Ireland editing procedures could be done by mirroring UK practice)
Definitely! I nearly put that towns spreadsheet on the wiki at first, but I figured it'd be easier for people to edit where it is instead.

My next plan is to get into updating the wiki and either add in a lot of missing stuff or, in the case of unclear or inconsistent things, attempt to get a consensus here on the forum first (naming of L- roads, for example, or choice of Street versus Primary Street road types for back roads). Wiki editing is another collaborative thing I'd hope that we all do a bit of too.

Anyway, many thanks for your response. I'm hoping as many other editors as possible will chime in here, even if only to say they've seen the document and are planning to use it. I may PM a few people directly if this thread goes quiet.

all the best,

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Agamicox wrote:Please add Ballymore to city list. I've been there driving from N81. Created (paved) the road too.
It's not R road, it's L road - L2025.
Is it Ballymore or Ballymore Eustace you're talking about?

Anybody can edit the list, so feel free to go ahead and add it yourself - just be careful not to accidentally mess up any of the other cities in there.

The list is just towns with more than 1500 people in them, so we don't need to add every village and smaller town to it. I just created it so we can use it as a kind of to-do list for keeping track of which towns and cities need to be worked on.

To get Ballymore/Ballymore Eustace to show up on the map, set the city field of any road segments that are part of the town. Make sure to just set the city field for the part of the road segment that passes through the town - not the entire road segment! You might need to add a junction node to split the road segment into two parts - one part for the section that forms part of the town, and one for the section that's outside the town. After you do this, the town should show up on the map in a few days and should become searchable from the app.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
DiarmuidCogan wrote:I noticed a peculiar issue in Dungarvan, Co. Waterford where there seems to be two versions of the city on the map. Any ideas?
That was a bit weird - they both has exactly the same spelling too!

One of the two "versions" of Dungarvan just had three segments with that name - so I've just renamed them by copy-and-pasting the name of the "real" Dungarvan into their city names, and now the highlight script shows all the segments there as having the same name.

The city polygons should regenerate in a day or so, and I expect there'll just be one Dungarvan after that.

I think the editor who created these polygons - DronAnn - is from another country (Russia or one of the former Soviet republics) (not sure; I don't want to offend him!) and if they are, then they could be using a different keyboard that inserts different character codes for some of the same (or very similar) characters - hence the two names that look identical.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by DiarmuidCogan
Added a few permalinks to towns and some notes there to assist in completeness, included my own name in a few places where I've been busy :)

I noticed a peculiar issue in Dungarvan, Co. Waterford where there seems to be two versions of the city on the map. Any ideas?
DiarmuidCogan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message