Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

City layer does not update

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I've verified that the City layer is definitely not updating. A small area of town where I had an incorrect state set which was displayed during the Palo Alto meetup which was fixed that day has not had its city boundary color shade changed to match the rest of the city. Waze says this is supposed to update with every map cycle, but two map cycles have now completed since then and the layer is still exactly the same as before.

This is added to the Known Issues wiki.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The update has cleared up some incorrect polygons, but the shape of current polygons still does not follow where the city/state field are set for the US.

Example: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

If "Newberg, OR" is the city causing the color shading shown by the Cities layer, then I can see no logical reason why there are holes or just extended missing areas. Newberg goes north right up to North Valley Rd and Bell Rd in that permalink, but the shading stops short where there are no segments to define that shape.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It is supposed to update with each tile update. I've only seen it update once since Palo Alto. It apparently was "broken."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
There is still a lingering problem with the existence of areas which show in the app which are sometimes city names, sometimes not, which have no segments at all. Not segments with the wrong name: no segments period, and the app displays the names and a shaded area anyway. No one at Waze has been able to figure out where these come from or how to get rid of them.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
I'm having a similar problem in CT, someone gave a neighborhood name to a chunk of streets instead of the name of the town that they are really in. No one, including the post office, uses the neighborhood name, so I changed it, but it's still sitting right there on the map and hasn't moved, so I can't tell if I missed any streets...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
Does anyone know if this fixed on the NA server yet?

I've taken out a neighborhood name and replaced it with the town name (no one uses the neighborhood name locally), but it's still showing up on the map in the same place... The neighborhood never really appeared to have it's only polygon on the map, just it's name listed.

Also, someone (maybe me) put "ha" in a city name instead of "Hartford" on one street, I've fixed that, but it's still showing up with it's own polygon...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by CBenson
Wow, you have all kinds of strange things going on out there. For instance, when I view this segment and zoom all the way out, the properties drawer show a state of Alabama and no city or street name. Zoom in three clicks and the state changes to Michigan, still no city or street name. Zoom in again an the state changes to Oregon, city to Newberg and street to N Terrace Dr. I do not get consistent results doing this. Seems similar to what was discussed here.

Edit - Unless I click on the permalink I made, then everything looks fine. However, if I unselect the segment and select it again the issues come back.

2nd Edit - Sorry, this appears not to be a function of your problem. This behavior is currently happening to me everywhere. It just appears to be a coincidence that it started for me when I was looking at your issue.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by dmcconachie
gerben wrote:This seems to work fine on the world server.
You sure? I see a lot of areas where the polygon hasn't stretched properly! East side of Edinburgh for example. Sorry, can't get to wme to provide a permalink right now!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Timbones wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:
gerben wrote:This seems to work fine on the world server.
You sure? I see a lot of areas where the polygon hasn't stretched properly! East side of Edinburgh for example. Sorry, can't get to wme to provide a permalink right now!
I wasn't sure either, but I checked my own roads closer and decided that maybe it was working after all.

Note: the city polygon doesn't stretch to include all roads in the city. There's some magic formula that considers the junctions or something.
Not what I understood and can't be sensible if it's missing by this much!?
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Timbones wrote:Those roads haven't been edited since "Wed Dec 31 1969" (i.e. -1). If you edit those roads, then the city boundary should update (guessing). I don't know if it's every day or every map update.
ok, how about this one?
dmcconachie
Send a message